All photos ©Alison Zarrow 2005-2007. Please see fine print.

Saturday, January 21, 2006

More schools

Thanks to the many folks who have emailed, written & posted comments on the site as a result of reading the Tulsa World article. Thanks also to those who have passed along suggestions of places to see. Here are a few places I've been lately:




Mingo Elementary, near the Tulsa Airport on North Sheridan, was in its own school district, then was transferred to the Tulsa Public School System, and is now owned by the Tulsa Airport Authority.










Mingo Elementary





Irving School, built in 1909, is at the corner of West Admiral and North Maybelle.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Granpa Joe said...

I lived in Mingo for the first 18 years of my life and that school is absolutely precious to me.

It was not "Mingo Elementary" - it was "Mingo School", kindergarten through 8th grade. If my information is correct, it was started pre-statehood and the community had coal mines. The red brick building in the photo was built in 1930 (I think). The ramp with the metal roof in the photo is part of the new area (post 1968 when I graduated).

I can find no written history of Mingo - a few years ago I checked with the Tulsa Historical Society (they had Dawson and Turley) and with the clippings archive at the Tulsa Public Library. Would really appreciate anything anyone can direct me to about Mingo.

Carla Edens Hoag

11:47 AM  
Blogger newfielover said...

Mingo School info can be found here: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/group.php?gid=54640227739 We had a reunion this year at Mohawk park and are planning another one next year. All posted to the above site.

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

visitors to Abandoned Tulsa